We are looking for early-career 3D modeling and animation artists under the age of 30 to join the project team of Tele-Encounters: Beyond the Human, co-funded by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union. The project explores the integration of telepresence, robots, and A.I. into art and the impact of technology on transnational family relationships.
Project coordinator: Teatrul “George Ciprian” Buzău (RO)
Partners: UCAM Universidad Católica San Antonio de Murcia (ES) and Industria Scenica (IT)
- Good knowledge of 3D modeling and animation software (preferably, but not restricted to Cinema 4D, Maya, 3ds Max)
- At least 1 year of professional experience
- You are based in Romania, Spain, or Italy.
- Good knowledge of English (you will work with an international team)
- The ability to work well in an interdisciplinary team
- A keen interest in non-conventional work processes with local audiences
- The ability to meet deadlines
Phase I – preselection:
- CV (with your statement allowing us to use your personal data for the purpose of the selection process)*
- Portfolio (digital) indicating clearly the breakdown of your work for each project
- Letter of intent stating why you wish to be part of the project team (max. 3/4 of an A4 page).
* RO artists are asked to send the signed GDPR consent form.
Please submit to:
- (for RO) firstname.lastname@example.org
- (for ES) email@example.com (CC tele.encounters.teamwork@gmail)
- (for IT) firstname.lastname@example.org (CC email@example.com).
with the subject “3D animation contest Tele-Encounters: BTH” (RO)/(ES)/(IT) – choose country depending on where you apply.
Application deadline: 31st December 2020, 23:59.
Preselected candidates will be announced via email on 8 January 2021.
Phase II – online interview for preselected candidates:
Interviews will take place online: 14-15 January 2021.
Selected applicants will be announced on 19 January 2021 via email.
Activity 1: ROBOT DEVELOPMENT AUDIENCE WORKSHOPS
We will organise two audience workshops to create robot models (concept only) with the participants’ help. The workshops will be composed of four modules led by four experts (roboethics, theatre, robotics, visual design) – you could be one of them. One workshop is dedicated to children aged 10-14, while the other one to elderly people aged over 65. Each workshop will gather 15 participants. The robot models will be sources of inspiration for one interactive simulations’ platform that will contain virtual robot models (see activity 2 below).
Your tasks under Activity 1 (WP3):
- 15-16 February 2021: take part in the preparation meeting that will connect online Buzău, Murcia, and Vimodrone. If needed, accommodation will be offered.
- March 2021: take part in one preparation meeting in Buzău, Murcia, or Vimodrone, depending on where you apply (potentially held online – to be decided)
- March-April 2021: coordinate the robot design module in cooperation with a roboticist:
- work with a group of 15 children aged 10-14 in one workshop (3-4 h, one single day)
- work with a group of 15 seniors (65+) in one workshop (3-4 h, one single day)
- write down your observations of the workshops and send them to the organising team
Budget for Activity 1:
RO: 4000 lei (gross sum)
ES and IT: 800 EUR (gross sum)
Accommodation and travel expenses will be covered in full separately.
In RO: Teatrul “George Ciprian” (contract de drept de autor pentru persoană fizică)
In ES: UCAM (you need to provide an invoice)
In IT: Industria Scenica (you need to provide an invoice)
Activity 2: ROBOT SIMULATIONS INTERACTIVE PLATFORM
You and the other artists previously selected in each country will create two 3D robot models each based on what the audience imagined in the workshops. You will also animate these robots with motions lasting a few seconds each. Users worldwide will be able to access the platform online and interact with the robot models via A.I. chatbots. You will first attend a training workshop in Murcia to get more insight into the technical specificities of the project and to decide on the structure of the platform, then you will work remotely.
Your tasks under Activity 2:
- May 2021: attend a 5-day training at UCAM in Murcia (4 nights)
- May-Sept 2021: create 2 robot 3D models and short sequences of animated reactions (see a reference)
Budget for Activity 2:
Honorarium: 2500 EUR (gross sum)
Travel expenses will be covered in full separately (accommodation, transportation, subsistence).
Hiring organisation: UCAM (ES) for all the applicants, irrespective of the country where you apply.
Please note that in order to be paid by UCAM you need to provide an invoice.
The organisers reserve the right to adapt all activities to an online format if COVID-19 restrictions make it necessary.